This digital age has made many people develop zero tolerance for slowdowns in smart devices without identifying the actual fault. Laptops and smartphones can slow down due to various reasons. Knowing what causes your laptop to slow down can be highly beneficial to the user. So, does switching out of S mode slow down laptop?
If you just got a Windows laptop, you must have noticed that you cannot install particular applications. This could only happen if the laptop is configured in S mode. S mode is designed to improve the security and performance of the device. Switching out S mode is not one reason your laptop slows down; it gives you access to download your favourite applications.
Switching out S mode lets you install applications from other app stores apart from the usual Microsoft store. Although it is a one-way street switching it out does not slow down your laptop. Here is everything you need to know about S mode and how to switch it off at your convenience.
- What Does S Mode Mean?
- What Are the Pros and Cons of Windows 10 S Mode?
- Does Switching Out of S Mode Slow down Laptop?
- How to Switch Out of Windows 10 in S Mode?
- How to Fix a Slow Laptop?
- How to Make Your Laptop Faster Using Xtra PC?
- Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ’s)
What Does S Mode Mean?
Microsoft introduced S mode in Windows 10 and 11. S mode enhances the security and performance of the laptop. With this mode, Microsoft promotes speed, stability and security on the laptop. S mode means a restricted and locked-down operating system. On S mode, you can only download applications from Microsoft Store. This offers excellent security since all the applications are verified.
S mode also uses Microsoft Edge as the default browser and Bing as the search engine. However, in this mode, you cannot download third-party applications on the laptop. For instance, you cannot install zoom and chrome on your PC in S mode. Microsoft pitches this mode for students in schools and business owners.
In S mode, your laptop can boot faster, and the battery is extended. It offers optimum security to the device and prevents any suspicious software that could harm the PC. With this mode, you are very secure with the applications on Microsoft Store. S mode is optional; you can switch it out permanently. That is when you want to use other applications that are not available on Microsoft Store.
What Are the Pros and Cons of Windows 10 S Mode?
Windows 10 S is a modernised version of Windows 10 manufactured by Microsoft, mainly for students. It is specifically designed to enhance the security and performance of the PC. Windows 10 S mode run perfectly on PC with ARM processors. Although there are many bright sides to using Windows 10 S mode, there is also a bad side. Below are the pros and cons of this mode.
Pros of Windows 10 S Mode
- Windows 10 S mode offers better security and performance: One great feature of S mode is that it is a more secured OS. You can download vetted applications for the safety of your device. Users are only allowed to download applications from Microsoft Store and use Microsoft Edge as a default browser. It limits antivirus software to its in-built version; that is Windows Defender Security Center.
- It is pitched for students in school and large-scale enterprise: Windows 10 S is suitable for classrooms as it only permits downloads of verified applications from the Microsoft Store. It is ideal for students and large-scale enterprises as they both have needs in terms of apps in common. It secures the device from malware and virus. Windows 10 S makes your PC efficient, secured and productive.
- Windows 10 S makes your battery long-lasting: With this mode, your battery life increases, and it also manages your battery usage. Window 10 S gives you access to limited applications, restricting the background battery usage.
- It is inexpensive : Windows 10 S is specifically designed to enhance the performance and speed of your PC. It operates perfectly with the system with reduced hardware configuration. It is affordable and budget-friendly.
Cons of Windows 10 S Mode
- Cost of usability: Windows 10 S permits you to use only applications available in Microsoft Store. S mode means you can not use Chrome, Goggle, conferencing apps and third-party applications. Using this mode, you have access to limited applications.
- Restricted Browsing : Window 10 S uses Microsoft Edge as a default web browser; you cannot change to Mozilla Firefox, Internet Explorer or Chrome. Bung is also the default search engine when using S mode. This restricts your browsing. It would help if you switched out of this mode to use other web browsers and search engines.
- Compatibility Issue: Windows 10 S makes you encounter compatibility issues with scanners, printers and other hardware. You might face problems when trying to connect with other peripherals.
- Switching out of this mode is a permanent switch: In other to switch out this mode, you need to think carefully. This is because it is a one-way switch; you cannot go back to using this mode after switching out. Switching out of S mode is a permanent switch.
Does Switching Out of S Mode Slow down Laptop?
S mode increases the security and performance of your PC. It exclusively runs apps from the Microsoft store. The major drawback of this mode is that it does not allow you to install applications from other stores. This is one reason why most users switch out of S mode. There is no difference in security when you switch out of this mode. So, does switching out of S mode slow down laptop?
No, switching out of S mode does not make the laptop slow down. The PC does not run slower; it only removes the restriction of downloads of applications. Switching out S mode permits you to install apps not available in the Microsoft store. It gives you a better experience as you can now download your favourite applications.
Simply, switching out of this mode does not slow down your laptop; it gives you a tremendous downloading experience. It is important to note that once you switch out of S mode, you cannot go back. It is a one-way switch.
How to Switch Out of Windows 10 in S Mode?
S mode improves the speed and performance of your laptop. But it gives you access to restricted applications. Most Windows versions come with a standard home operating system. You can switch out of S mode to use the normal home OS. This gives you access to download your favourite applications from other app stores. This is a step-by-step guide on how to switch out of S mode.
- Step 1: First, you need to navigate to the settings of your laptop, then click on ‘Update and Security’.
- Step 2: After clicking on Update & Security, you will be redirected to the ‘Activation menu’. In the Activation menu, look for ‘Switch to Window 10 Home’.
- Step 3: After clicking on the ‘Switch to Window 10 Home’ icon, you will be directed to Microsoft Store and an icon “Get” the full version.
- Step 4: Select the ‘Get’ option. You have successfully switched out S mode on your laptop.
How to Fix a Slow Laptop?
As previously mentioned, there are so many reasons your laptop is slow, and S mode is not one of the reasons. It could be that your computer has a virus, you are out of memory, your hard drive might be full, or your browser is overloaded. These and more could make your laptop slow. The good news is that you don’t need to be a tech wizard to fix your slow laptop. You can fix some of these faults on your own. Here are five tips on the quick fix of your slow laptop
Restart the PC
Shutting down your PC and turning it back on boost the performance and productivity of your laptop. This is a swift fix for your slow PC. It enhances the speed and productivity of the PC. This is one of the common ways to fix your slow laptop and some other common faults it develops. Having the ability to restart your PC automatically improves your computer processing speed
Delete Old Files and Programs from Your PC
If your PC is old, you most likely have some unused files and programs. This affects the speed and performance of your device. It would be best to lighten the load by deleting old files and unnecessary programs. Doing this will help to enhance the speed of your PC.
Always Run an Antivirus Scan
Virus like malware, spyware, adware makes your PC experience sudden crash and slow down. It makes your PC vulnerable and slow. A quick fix is always to run an antivirus scan to identify the virus or suspicious activity. When you tackle the virus in your laptop, it starts functioning optimally with increased speed.
Run Upgrade on Your Hard Drive
The hard drive stores all your computer data. It is the storage of your laptop. One reason your laptop is slow is that your hard drive might be full. This is if you don’t free up the hard drive regularly. It affects the speed and performance of your PC. To fix this, you need to upgrade your hard drive to a better solid-state drive. This will help free up your storage and enhance the device’s speed.
Always Use Cloud Storage
A slow laptop could be caused by the fact that you are out of memory. Cloud storage is a modern way to store files online using Google, Microsoft and Apple. This cloud service permits you to keep documents, videos, photos, music and other media files. It helps you resolve the low memory issue and free up space on your PC. Doing this increases the speed performance of your laptop.
How to Make Your Laptop Faster Using Xtra PC?
Most PC users find it frustrating when their device is slow and inefficient. It is not that easy to buy a new laptop. Xtra PC is a budget-friendly solution that makes your computer faster. With this gadget, your computer will not face any virus or suspicious activity. Xtra PC is a reliable product that improves the speed of your laptop.
Xtra PC is a powerful flash drive with an operating system called the Linux OS. This drive boosts up the speed of your laptop, and it works perfectly on all laptops and PCs. To use Xtra PC on your laptop, all you need to do is to plug it into the USB port of your device. It starts running the laptop smoothly, making it more efficient and fast.
Frequently Asked Questions(FAQ’s)
Can I Use Google Chrome with Windows 10 S Mode?
Windows 10 S Mode only allows you to use Microsoft utilities. Google chrome is not a feature on the Microsoft store. This means you can not download it from the Microsoft store or use it as a default browser.
However, you can access google through its official website from the Microsoft Edge browser. Or switch out of the mode.
Does S Mode Protect from Viruses?
S mode is specifically designed to enhance the speed and performance of your laptop. In some ways, it protects your laptops from viruses because you can only download apps vetted by Microsoft on the store.
Although, Window 10 S mode still has an in-built Antivirus software, Windows Defender Security Center. It is a robust security feature protecting your device from viruses, even on S mode.
Does Switching Out of S Mode Void Warranty?
Switching out of S mode does not void your warranty. It permits you to change the Windows OS and download third-party applications.
Simply, switching out of S mode will not void your warranty; it only gives you access to Non-Microsoft utilities.
How Long Does It Take to Switch Out of S Mode?
Switching out of A mode is not difficult. It does not consume time; it only takes a few seconds. It takes approximately five seconds to switch out of S mode. To do this, follow the steps explained in this piece.
Can You Use Zoom on Windows 10 S Mode?
Zoom is a conferencing app that is not available on Microsoft Store. But you can access Zoom on Windows 10 S mode. All you can do is access your default browser, which is Microsoft Edge. Then go to the Zoom meeting URL to access the web version of zoom.
What Exactly Does Switching Out of S Mode Do?
S mode helps increase the speed, stability and performance of your device. If you want to install your favourite application that is not on the Microsoft store, you need to switch out of S mode. But switching out of this mode is a permanent switch; you can not go back.
Is S Mode Important?
A mode is suitable for students and businesses owners. It is essential because it provides adequate protection against any suspicious activity like malware. But, if you want to access apps, not on S mode, you can switch out of the mode.
What Benefits Can I Get from Xtra PC?
Xtra PC has fantastic features that are highly beneficial to users. This gadget boosts the speed of your computer and makes it work efficiently. It is also effortless to set up and budget-friendly.
What Is the Difference between Windows 10 and Windows 10 in S Mode?
Windows 10 in S mode is an already configured version of Microsoft that works well on a low-ended device and enhances performance and speed. The significant difference is that unlike Windows 10, Windows 10 S only permits you to download apps from Microsoft Store.
Is It Possible to Use Xtra PC on My Laptop with Windows OS?
Xtra PC is a thrilling flash drive that increases the speed of your laptop using Linux OS. It works well on any computer at all. Yes, you can use it on your laptop with Windows OS.
S mode is a pretty good operating system that offers efficiency to your device. It gives your PC speed, security, and better performance. It does not make your laptop slow down in any way; rather, it enhances your device. So, does switching out of S mode slow down laptop? No, it does not slow down your laptop. There are so many other reasons your laptop is slow down.