Asus Zenfone 2 is the latest smartphone to be launched by Asus. It not only comes with top notch specification, but also comes with a affordable price tag for the specifications. Now if you own any of the version of Asus Zenfone 2 ZE550ML & ZE551ML, this guide will allow you to root your device with ease.
How to Root Asus Zenfone 2 ZE550ML & ZE551ML
There are two method to root Asus Zenfone 2 ZE550ML & ZE551ML. The first method is easier than the later one and allows you to root using Temporary CWM. The second method requires you to flash the pre-rooted ROM. Follow any of the below given methods.
Method 1: Root Asus Zenfone 2 using Temporary CWM
The advantage of using this method is that, you can any time unroot your device and get the OTA updates. Before you proceed with the below given steps, take full back of your data.
- Enable USB Debugging on Asus Zenfone 2. To do this go to Settings > About > Software information and tap on build number 7 times. Once you see “you are now a developer message”, go back to Settings > About > Developer options and enable USB Debugging.
- Download and install the USB Drivers
- Download Temporary CWM package zip file and extract it
- Now connect your device to PC and copy SuperSUxxx.zip to the root of your SD card
- Next, run cai_dat_CWM.bat and in the command window type ACCEPT (in capital letters) and hit enter.
- Next, type in T4 and hit enter. This would restart your device in fastboot mode. Now take the commands and load the temporary CWM. It will take few minutes to complete
- Now your device will boot CWM Recovery. Disconnect your device from the PC and then select Install ZIP using the Volume keys to highlight and power key to select.
- Select choose zip from external SD card and select the file (SuperSUxx.zip) that you had moved earlier to the root folder. Wait till the SuperSU is being installed.
Once done, reboot your device and you should have a successfully rooted Asus Zenfone 2.
Note: If you want to install the OTA update then unroot your device from SuperSU > Settings > Full Unroot.
Method 2: Flashing the Pre-rooted ROM to Root Asus Zenfone 2
The second method for rooting Asus Zenfone 2 requires you to flash the pre-rooted ROM to your Device. However, do note that after flashing the ROM you cannot install OTA updates.
- Start by Downloading and installing USB Drivers
- Download and Install ADB
- Download the pre-rooted firmware files. The pre-rooted firmware file is different for different version. Z00A is for ZE551ML and Z008 is for ZE550L.
- Next, download and extract the Flash Tools Zip file
- Now (assuming you have WinRAR installed), open the firmware folder and double click the Z00x_WW_x.x.x.x_system_w_root.zip file and extract it.
- Next, move System.img, Droid.img.boot.img and recovery.img to the folder where you extracted the Flash Tools.zip file
- Next, put your device into Fastboo mode. To do this turn off the Zenfone 2, and then press and hold Volume Up + Power Key till it vibrates. Once you are in the fastboot mode, connect it to the PC.
- Now open the Flash tools folder. Hold Shift key and right click inside the folder and select Open command window here.
Now enter following commands one by one:
fastboot flash fastboot droidboot.img fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash system system.img
Wait after entering each command until it is finished and then enter the second command and so on.
Once done, reboot your device and you should have successfully rooted Asus Zenfone 2 ZE550ML & ZE551ML.