Most of the hardcore PC gamers are well known of Steam – a digital distribution and multiplayer communication platform owned by Valve Corporation. It is one of the largest online PC game distributors and sells digital copies of PC games to the users.
Once you create an account and purchase any game on Steam, then you can download it on your PC. But, all the latest PC games are of 15-20GB average in size and downloading it may take minutes, hours or even days depending upon the speed of your internet connection.
Recommended Read: How to Make Your Internet Faster
Now you have downloaded a game of 15GB in size after waiting hours or days, but what if your PC gets infected with a virus or if your hard disk gets corrupted? Are you going to download the entire game again and again?
A better solution for this is to make or create a backup of Steam games on external hard drive or DVD. It ensures that you can reinstall your favorite game anytime without the need of downloading it from the steam.
This game backup feature is inbuilt in Steam application, and it allows you to create a backup of Steam games on external hard drive or DVD. Once you create the backup, you don’t need to download the games again and again instead you can use the backup disk to restore the games on your PC.
Below is a detailed tutorial on how to create a Steam game backup on DVD or hard drive and how to restore it on your PC.
How to Create Steam Game Backup
- Double click on Steam on your PC to open it.
- In Steam, go to Library where you games are listed.
- Now right-click on the game you wish to create a backup and from the drop down menu select Backup Game Files.
- In the next window, you can see how much memory required for creating a backup of selected games.
- Once confirmed, click Next to proceed.
- Next, select a location on your external storage device where the backup has to be created.
- Next, you have to choose file size in which the backup will be split into multiple files.
- If you plan to use multiple CD’s, then choose CD [640 MB], for DVD choose [DVD 4.7GB] if you have the other device with more memory then choose custom and then specify the size.
- Now click on Next button to initialize the backup process. Once completed, you can use this hard drive or DVD to restore a backup of Steam games.
How to Restore Steam Game Backup on PC
Now if you want to restore the backup of a steam game then follow these steps.
- Open Steam on your PC.
- Click on Steam and from the drop down list select Backup and Restore Games.
- Next, select folder or drive where you have stored Steam game backup. If you have created Backup on DVD or CD then first insert it and then navigate.
- Now click on Next and wait till steam restores your game from the backup on your PC.
Once successfully restored, you are ready to take the enemy down. Do comment below if you have any difficulty in this tutorial.