A Windows 8 USB Recovery Drive is a must for anyone, who keeps on messing with their Windows 8 PC or laptop. Even if you are not a tech savvy than also creating a Windows 8 USB recovery drive will keep you on the safe side.
Why you need a Windows 8 recovery drive? If you have a recovery drive on your USB drive, then you can use this drive to reset your Windows 8 machine to an earlier time. You can also use this for advanced repair and troubleshooting tools for Windows 8 like Command Prompt, System Restore and Automatic Repair.
Having a Windows 8 USB recovery drive makes sense always as its is a like backup power source of your PC. If your computer refuses to boot, then make use of recovery drive to repair your PC and do much more as explain in the post earlier.
Also, Read Tutorial on how to Create Windows 8 Bootable USB drive.
Create Windows 8 USB Recovery Drive
Follow these simple steps to create Windows 8 USB recovery drive
Before you start to make a recovery drive, you should check if there is already Recovery partition present on your computer. The recovery partition is a must for creating a recovery drive.
To do this:
- Open Command prompt as Administrator (Search for Command in the start menu, Right click on command prompt and select “Run as Administrator).
- Enter the password (if it asks for, else proceed).
- Now enter this command and press enter: “racing /showcurrent”.
- Now if you see this message “There is no active custom recovery image”, it means that you have to create a recovery image on your computer to proceed.
Follow these steps to create custom recovery image (only if you don’t have Recovery partition present on your computer )
- Enter these two commands one after another.
- Enter this command and press enter: media C:RefreshImage.
- Now enter the second command and press enter: racing -CreateImage C:RefreshImage.
- Wait till the creating recovery image process completes.
Follow Below steps to create Windows 8 USB recovery drive
- Insert your USB drive (formatted USB drive with a minimum of 500 MB free space).
- Type “recovery drive” in windows search.
- Now click on “Create Recovery Drive.“
- In “Create Recovery Drive” check “Copy the recovery partition from the PC to the recovery drive” checkbox.
- Now Click on “Next.“
- Now select your USB drive from the available device list.
- Click on Next.
- After that Click on Create to being the Windows 8 recovery drive.’.
- After completing the process click on Finish.
- Remove your USB drive by ejecting it.
That’s it! You have successfully created a Windows 8 USB Recovery Drive. You can use this drive to Reset or Refresh your Windows 8 PC.