Microsoft Windows Phone or Windows 10 for mobile is a third major contender in Smartphone OS market and like every major mobile OS Windows Phone also has security risks, may not be as much as Android but enough to make you regret if you don’t consider these Windows Phone Security Tips.
Microsoft says Windows Phone is secure by design, but also adds that user should also follow few of these safety tips to be on a safer side. Here I have few security tips to keep your Windows Phone 8 smartphone safe from unauthorized access.
Recommended Read: Best 4 File Manager Apps for Windows Phone 8
How to Keep Windows Phone Secure
1. Limit the Access with Screenlock
There is a saying “A locked home is safer than an unlocked one”. Do you want every stranger or unwanted individual to have a look into your phone? Hope not; then always keep your Windows phone password locked. To do this Go to > Setting > Lock Screen > Turn on Password >> Enter new Password > Re-enter the password in Confirm Password field.
2. Setup Kids Corner
We all know kids loves to explore things, be it on your phone or your PC. However, if you hand over your Windows Phone to your explorer he can just access anything including, files you don’t want him to mess up with things on your smartphone like your emails, media files, etc. The best solution for this is to set up kid’s corner on Windows Phone.
Kid’s Corner is a place on your phone where your child can play with the games, apps, music and videos that you add there, but can’t get to the rest of your stuff.
Set up Kid’s Corner: Go to Setting > Apps List > Kid’s Corner > Continue > Tap the items you want to include in Kid’s Corner > Tap Done!
How to use kid’s Corner:
- From your main Lock screen, Swipe Left to go to Kid’s Corner Lock Screen.
- Leave Kid’s Corner by pressing the power button.
3. Create Data Backup
Taking a regular backup of your data is recommended for everyone. You can create a backup of your data on your Windows Phone 8 powered smartphone and save it in the cloud.
Turn on Automatic Cloud Backup service on Windows Phone.
- Go to > Apps List > Setting > Backup
- Now Tap Text > for taking text message Backup
- Tap Photos > for Image or Photo Backup
- Tap Videos > for Video or Multimedia content Backup
4. Use Find My Phone Service
Whether your phone is lodged down the back of the settee or riding around in a taxi, misplacing it can be a nightmare. To reduce the risk of losing your Windows Phone to you should setup a feature available in Windows Phone smartphone. Find My Phone will help you to find your phone, like you can ring from your browser, can search it on a map, lock it or erase the data or send a message to the device showing it on the lock screen. Who knows you may get your phone back because some kind soul found it.
How To Use and Setup Find my Phone?
Go to > Apps List > Setting > Find My Phone
Click on any of these two:
- Send apps to my phone using push notifications (not SMS)
- Save my phone’s location periodically and before the battery runs out to make it easier to find
To enable this service, you need to log in using Microsoft account.
- From your computer browser go to www.windowsphone.com
- Click on Find My Phone in the top-right corner
- Sign in using the same account if prompted.
- To Ring your Windows Phone: Click on Ring and follow instructions
- To Lock your Windows Phone: Click on Lock and follow instructions
- To Erase data on your Windows Phone: Click on Erase and follow the instructions
5. Install New Security and Software Update
Your device manufacturer releases the timely update for your device, which comes with software enhancement, battery enhancement, bug fixes and adds new features to your Windows Phone. If any update is available for your device, then you’ll receive a notification click on it to download and install the update.
You can also check for updates manually, just Go to > Apps List > Setting > Check for Updates.
Following these Windows, Phone security tips will help you to keep your Windows phone secure. Do you have any other tip? Do let us know in the comments below.