Recommended Read >> Best Free VPN Services for Windows
Follow below steps to Change Unknown/Forgotten Password in Windows
Step 1: Press Win + R key on your keyboard, it will open Run Dialogue Box.
Step 2: Type cmd and press ok to open the command prompt.
Step 3: In command prompt window type net user. It will show the list of all users that has been created on this computer.
Step 4: Now type net user administrator. The administrator is account name; if you have to change other account password type that account name.
Step 5: Now the command will initialize the process of changing password.
Step 6: Next, type the new password anything like “abcd123” that you want for your account.
Step 7: Now again enter the same password to confirm the password change
Note: The typed password will not be visible.
Windows Password Recovery Software
Well, if the above method didn’t work for whatever reason may be, you can look at these Windows Password recovery software. These tools can help you to recover or reset forgotten or unknown user and administrator passwords. Below I have mentioned few password recovery software to help you in cracking or recovering your administrative password.
1. Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor
As the name suggests, this tool can assist you in resetting password in Windows PC. The tool doesn’t recover the password, but erases it completely and allows you to create a new password.
The tool requires you to burn the software to your disk and then boot from it. Begin with downloading the Offline Windows Password & Registry Editor ISO and then burn it to any empty CD.
Once you have burned the ISO disk, insert the disk into your PC and boot from it by restarting your PC. Once you have booted using the disk, follow the onscreen instructions, and you should be able to reset the password.
It may not have a very promising name, but it can do the job. The Ophcrack Windows password cracker can be tagged as the best password recovery tool on could use. To use it, download the Ophcrack ISO from the website and burn to any CD.
Now boot using your Ophcrack CD and restart your PC. Once the program starts, you have to proceed to recover the password. The tool can retrieve the password in few minutes so have patience until it recovers the password.
How to Reset Password in Windows 7 using Recovery Disk
The above method is one of the most simplest methods to reset or change your Windows 7 administrator password. But, what would you do if you cannot access your computer at the first place? The first method requires you to have access to your computer and the command prompt of course.
Now if you don’t have access to your computer or you are unable to log in, then you can reset your Windows 7 password using your system repair disk or original Windows 7 installation disk. Here is how to do it.
1. Insert Windows 7 installation DVD or System Repair disk and restart your PC.
2. Select your language and click on Next.
3. Select Repair your computer.
4. Your System repair disk or installation DVD will locate the OS installed on your PC.
5. You need to take note of your Windows 7 installation drive, which should be in D: drive usually.
6. From the Operating System list, select Windows 7 and click on Next.
7. Now you will see System Recovery Options, choose Command Prompt from here.
8. Enter the following commands in command prompt:
copy d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe d:\ copy d:\windows\system32\cmd.exe d:\windows\system32\utilman.exe
9. You may need to type yes if asked to Overwrite the disk. Also, make sure that you change your Windows 7 installation drive if it is other than D: with d:/ in the above command.
10. Close the command prompt window and restart your PC. Remove the disk as well.
11. Once the PC restarts, click on the square icon (bottom left of the screen).
12. In the command prompt, type in the following command:
net user yourusername yourpassword
Replace “yourusername” and “yourpassword” with the one you want.
13. Close the command prompt and login with your new password.